Joe Biden was elected as the 46th president of the United States, toppling President Trump after a term, the AP news agency said on Saturday.
What are they saying: “I am very honored and humbled by the trust the American people have placed in me and Vice President-elect Harris,” Biden said in a statement. “When the campaign is over, it’s time to get rid of the anger and harsh words behind us and bring together like a nation. It’s time for America to unite. And to heal.”
- Vice President-elect Kamala Harris: “This election is more than that [Joe Biden] or me. It is about the soul of America and its willingness to fight for it. We still have a lot of work ahead. Start.”;
- Former President Barack Obama: “I couldn’t be prouder to congratulate our next President, Joe Biden and our next First Lady, Jill Biden. I also couldn’t be more proud to congratulate Kamala Harris and Doug Emhoff for Kamala’s groundbreaking election as our next Vice President. “
- Former President Bill Clinton: “America has spoken and democracy has won. Now we have the President elected and the Vice President elected, who will serve all of us and hold us all together. Congratulations to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on your important victory! “
- Former President Jimmy Carter: “Rosalynn joins me to congratulate our friends President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. We are proud of their well-run campaign and look forward to seeing them. The positive change they bring to our nation. “
- House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.): “We have kept the republic! Congratulations Joe Biden on his victory for the soul of our country. Congratulations to Kamala Harris for making history. It’s time to heal and to heal.” It’s time to grow together. E Pluribus Unum. “
- That is. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska): “I congratulate President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Harris and will be ready to work with their administration when it takes office. … [Americans’] The choice of who leads us identifies us and is the source of our exceptionalism. We must uphold that legacy. “
- Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (DN.Y.): “The long dark night in America is over, and a new dawn is coming.”
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.): “The president is elected [Joe Biden] and the Vice President elected [Kamala Harris]! That feels great to say. The Americans chose Joe and Kamala to lead us forward with purpose and clear morality. “
- Dream. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.): “I want to congratulate all those who have worked hard to make this historic day possible. Now, through our constant grassroots organization, let’s create a government that works for ALL, not a few. Let’s create a nation built on fairness, without greed and perseverance ”.
- Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah): “Ann and I congratulate President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. We know both are people of admirable goodwill and personality. We pray that God has. can bless them in the days and years to come. “
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: “Voters spoke up and they chose [Biden] and [Harris] Become our next president and vice president. It’s a ticket that makes history, a Trump denial and a new page for America. “
- Former Republican Governor of Florida Jeb Bush: “Congratulations to President-elect Biden. I have been praying for our President for most of my adult life. I will pray for you and your success. Now is the time to heal your injuries. Deep. Many people are counting on you to lead the way. “
Other way: Trump has not acknowledged the election. Instead, he said the election was “far from over” and that the campaign would begin “prosecution [their] lawsuit coming to court next week.
- Senator Josh Hawley (R-Mo.): “The media cannot determine who the president is. The people do. Once all legitimate votes have been tally, recounted and allegations of fraud are resolved, we will know. who is the winner.”
Going deeper: World leaders congratulate Biden on his election victory
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with Murkowski’s comment.