Staff with the Detroit Elections help organize absentee ballots at the Central Counting Committee at the TCF Center on November 4, 2020 in Detroit, Michigan.
Elaine Cromie | beautiful images
President Donald Trump’s campaign on Wednesday said it had filed a lawsuit aimed at preventing the counting of votes in Michigan because it sought to obtain what it called “sketchy access”; to follow. track the tallying process at many polling places.
The lawsuit comes as Trump faces an extremely tight race with Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden in the key battlefield state and several other states, including Wisconsin, Pennsylania, Georgia and Nevada.
At the time the lawsuit was announced, NBC News had reported that Biden was ahead of Trump with 49.5% of the vote in Michigan, compared with 48.8% of Trump’s. A total of 94% of the state’s vote has been tally so far.
The lawsuit was announced when Trump suggested, without any evidence, that Michigan “found” the votes to deny John James, the Michigan Republican candidate for the Senate race in the US. There, a win.
Bill Stepien, Trump 2020 campaign manager, said: “As Michigan votes continue to count, the presidential race in this state remains as tight as we have always known.
“President Trump’s campaign has not provided meaningful access to many of the counting locations to observe the ballot opening and the vote counting process, as guaranteed by Michigan law,” Stepien said.
“We filed a lawsuit today with the Michigan Court demanding that the counting of votes be halted until meaningful access is granted. We also ask to review already opened ballots and count while they are. I have no meaningful access. President Trump is committed to ensuring that all legitimate votes count in Michigan and everywhere else. “
This is hot news. Please check back for updates.