After Iran’s Foreign Ministry special envoy Brian Hook resigned on Thursday, President Donald Trump appointed his current special representative to replace Venezuela Elliott Abrams, a notorious fan and supporter. for Latin American death squads convicted in 1991 for hiding information from Congress during the Iran – scandal.
Abrams will now take on both roles at the same time, alarming anti-war groups, who say someone with a bloody profile like him “should be banned from serving government positions and be recognized. is a war criminal “.
From El Salvador to Guatemala, Nicaragua to Panama, Elliott Abrams’ work is defined by the worst impulses in US foreign policy: embracing war, said Stephen Miles, chief executive officer. ignores human rights violations and supports terrible dictatorships. ”; by Win Without War.
Abrams’ appointment as special envoy to Iran comes days after he confirmed during a Senate hearing that he is still “working hard” to topple Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. Sina Toossi, senior research analyst at the National Iranian Americans Council (NIAC), warned that the Trump administration’s placement of Abrams as America’s top diplomat in Iran shows the president and Secretary of State. Mike Pompeo is “doubling down” in boosting the regime. change in Iran.
“Like most of the people appointed by Trump,” Toossi said, “he is not well suited to the position and will continue to harm US interests by enacting a strategy that fails that will only turn into work in spreading chaos and misery. “
In a statement late Thursday, the anti-war group CodePink provided a snapshot of Abrams’ position and recorded from his time in Reagan administration:
- In the 1980s, he defended Guatemala’s notorious General Efraín Ríos Montt, whose violent persecution of Guatemala’s native Ixil Maya was so brutal that he was classified as genocide by the United Nations.
- He denied that the Salvadoran army was responsible for the devastating massacre in El Mozote where, in 1981, a US-trained battalion killed more than 500 civilians, slashing the necks of children along the way. Abrams not only denied the massacre and urged the United States to continue to support the notorious Salvadoran government’s brutality, but he also stated in an interview in 1994 that “the record of the US administration in El Salvador is one. in incredible achievements. “
- He is fiercely anti-Palestinian and shamefully pro-Israel. As George Bush’s assistant on the National Security Council, Abrams has done everything he can to thwart peace talks. He repeatedly cuts off any US pressure on Israel to stop building settlements and cites the Holocaust as a justification for Israel’s murder of the Palestinians (Jews are “a learned people). from history what happened to the Jews without “security”). In 2015, he welcomed then-Spokesperson John Boehner’s decision to invite Netanyahu to speak to Congress without President Obama’s approval. He praised the gospel depictions of Israel such as the belief that “Israel is connected with the idea that God supports and protects Americans.”
- In 1991, Abrams pledged to conceal information from Congress regarding his involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, secret and illegal fraud of the 1980s to extract profits from the sale of weapons. Iran’s gas to support the Contra right-wing rebels trying to overthrow the Sandinista administration.
- Abrams is a major supporter of the catastrophic invasion of Iraq. In 1998, he submitted a letter to President Clinton encouraging him to depose Saddam Hussein. As the Deputy National Security Advisor for Global Democracy Strategy during George W. Bush’s second term, Abrams was in charge of advancing Bush’s “push democracy abroad” strategy.
- Abrams supported the US overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, echoing the tactics used by neocons to intervene in Iraq.
- Abrams’ opposition to the Iran Nuclear Deal is manifested in his efforts to encourage Israel to bomb Iran’s nuclear sites before negotiations get too serious. He expressed concern that Israel’s ability to hinder the deal was “significantly narrowed down by the thaw of diplomacy, because the bombing of Iran is one thing when the country appears stubborn and isolating a deal. hopelessly and another thing is bombing Iran when much of the world – especially the United States – is optimistic about the prospects of negotiations. “
- In January 2019, Abrams was appointed as the Special Representative of the United States to Venezuela and used his position to support an attempted coup, quelling diplomatic negotiations and intensifying brutal punishment, even during a pandemic.
“The dangerous conflict caused by Trump’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal will be exacerbated by a man committed to Washington’s failed regime-change policies,” CodePink said. “Elliott Abrams lied and committed crimes that resulted in the death and suffering of innocent people from Guatemala to Iraq. He advocates militarism, covering up human rights abuses. and has a history of supporting dictatorships. “