The Pentagon is pushing back against a report from NBC News that Defense Secretary Mark Esper had “prepared a resignation letter” following the presidential election.
In a report released Thursday afternoon, NBC cited three anonymous “incumbent defense officials” who allege that the Esper “had prepared his letter because he was one of Cabinet officials. the word is expected to be pushed out after the election. “
However, the report received a strong response the following evening from Jonathan Hoffman, the Secretary of Defense’s assistant in public affairs.
CLICK HERE TO SEE FOX NEWS LIVE SCRUBS
“NBC̵7;s story is inaccurate and misleading in many ways,” Hoffman tweeted. “To be more specific, Defense Secretary Esper has no plans to resign, nor is it required to submit a resignation.”
Hoffman added, “He continues to serve the country as Secretary of Defense with the pleasure of the President and is making an irreversible effort to implement the National Defense Strategy.”
Fox News has reached out to NBC News for comment.
CLICK HERE TO INTERACT WITH THE FOX NEWS FOX VOTER ANALYSIS
A senior White House official previously told Fox News that President Trump is planning to remove FBI Director Christopher Wray from his office if the president beats Democratic candidate Joe Biden. The official also said that Defense Secretary Mark Esper may also be on his way, but the official said it was unclear whether he would step down or the president would remove him. “
Fox News’s Andrew O’Reilly contributed to this report.