John Locher / AP
A judge in Nevada has dismissed President Trump’s re-election campaign and state Republican officials are trying to stop the count of votes by mail in Clark County.
The county, home to Las Vegas, is by far the most populous of the state. CNN reported that about 70% of Nevada’s voters live in “heavily Democratic” county.
In the lawsuit, the Trump and Nevada GOP campaign alleges they couldn’t observe all aspects of the tallying process closely enough, and wanted to install cameras to record the process.
Carson District Court Judge James Wilson denied their request, ruled that the plaintiffs lacked the legal status to sue the case and failed to provide evidence of “impairment or impairment. dilute citizen votes. “
The ruling was made on Monday, just one day before Election Day.
Wilson wrote that there was no evidence of improper ballot counting.
“There is no evidence that any votes that need to be legally counted have been or will not be counted. There is no evidence that any votes that need to be legally counted have been or will be. There is no evidence that any election official has done anything outside of law, policy or procedure, “he said.
The lawsuit asked the court to order Clark County Voter Registrant Joseph Gloria to stop using Agilis, an electronic vote classification system. But the plaintiffs did not point out any flaws or omissions in Agilis’s results or any other reason for such a mission, Wilson wrote.
The judge also pointed out that state law passed in August specifically authorizes county officials to electronically process and count ballots.
The GOP lawsuit was filed on October 23, just 11 days before the general election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford cheered the ruling on Monday.
“The president’s willful attempts to sabotage Nevada’s election have failed again,” Ford said in a statement. “Today’s ruling makes it clear that there is a proper process for conducting an election that even the president must follow, and that is certainly a victory for the constitutional rights of all Nevadans. . “
“There is only one ‘result’ and that comes after every legal vote counts,” Ford tweeted. “Then, keep counting, Clark.”
Nevada’s Republicans did not immediately respond to NPR’s request for comment. State GOP President Michael McDonald told Las Vegas Review-Journal that the party can file an expedited appeal with the Supreme Court of the state.
The lawsuit also requested that the counting and verification of mail ballots be stopped immediately, but Wilson denied that request as soon as the lawsuit was filed last month.
Nevada’s deputy attorney general, Gregory Zunino, argued in opening statements last week that the lawsuit was clearly partisan in nature.
“Clark County is a green district, and this is a number game. And quite frankly they want to eliminate as many votes in Clark County as possible. They want a high rejection rate,” Zunino said, according to the report. Magazine Reviews. “They don’t challenge the process in Elko County or Humboldt County or Carson City because those are red counties.”
Nevada Foreign Minister Barbara Cegavske, a Republican member, told lawmakers earlier this year that there were no cases of fraud in the state’s primary election in June, which was conducted almost entirely. entirely by mail.