Orlando City SC grabbed the top four spot at the East Conference with a dramatic 2-1 win over Columbus Crew SC on Wednesday night at Exploria Stadium, which was won by Benji Michel in the late match. when down to 10 people. As well as the end of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup knockout round for the Lions, that result knocked Columbus out of the Shield of Support competition.
The Michel effort came in the 84th minute in a long Mauricio Pereyra run, with the Homegrown striker ironing through a number of Columbus defenders before knocking down Eloy Room to take a 2-1 lead.
The goal became even more dramatic when Nani received a red card in the 52nd minute after the Video Review decision. Orlando DP ran into a challenge with Artur, which caused players to look more and tilt the skin of the game.
With the human advantage, Columbus did not waste time searching for an equalizer in the 56th minute by Harrison Afful. The next round made it 1-1 with a left-foot rocket overtaking Pedro Gallese.
Before the second half exciting, Orlando had a goal in the 27th minute by Chris Mueller. The Lion winger took a pass from Pereyra on the right side of the box and chose the far corner to lead 1-0.
The ball was somewhat lost, but Orlando almost doubled their lead in the 30th minute, which was not a surprising save from Room. First he took a long shot from Kyle Smith, then blocked another Smith shot on second look.
- 27 ‘- ORL – Chris Mueller | WATCH
- 56 & # 39; – Club – Harrison Afful | WATCH
- 84 ‘- ORL – Benji Michel | WATCH
- BIG PICTURE: Orlando left the field late, but had a dramatic home playoff after passing a red card in Nani’s second half. Considering that Orlando missed out on the knockout stages in their previous five MLS seasons, it really sets the stage of the work Oscar Pareja did in his first year as head coach. As for Columbus, they are now out of the Backers’ Shield race after having previously led the way for most of the season. They remain one of the top teams in the East, but are currently facing the risk of losing their top four spot to NYCFC on a Decision Date presented by AT&T.
- MOM OF THE FIGHT: Nani’s red card caused a lot of controversy, not to mention the outrage from Orlando players and supporters alike. This game has serious significance in the playoffs and Video Review only adds to the plot.
- MAN’S FIGHTING: Mauricio Pereyra made two assists and pulled the rope for Orlando, especially in the first half before they dropped to 10. The Uruguayan midfielder was expected to miss their Decision Day game due to his yellow card reception, but his vision and pace has brought a lot of quality to Oscar Pareja’s side.
- ENT: Sunday, November 8 vs Nashville SC (3:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US; MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- club: Sunday, November 8 against Atlanta United (3:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US; MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)