قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Russia says 2,000 Mideast fighters are fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh

Russia says 2,000 Mideast fighters are fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh



Russia’s top diplomat said on Tuesday that about 2,000 fighters from the Middle East had joined the skirmish at Nagorno-Karabakh, where the worst outbreak of hostility occurred during the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan during over a quarter of a century.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov’s statement came as warring parties raised allegations of new attacks in the region.

“We are certainly concerned about the internationalization of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and the participation of militants from the Middle East,”

; Lavrov said in an interview with the Russian business daily Kommersant. “We have repeatedly asked foreign players to use their potential to stop the transfer of warriors, whose number in the conflict zone is up to 2,000.”

Foreign Minister Lavrov added that Russian President Vladimir Putin raised the issue in a phone call last week with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Nagorno-Karabakh is located in Azerbaijan but has been under the control of Armenian-backed Armenian forces since a war there ended in 1994. The most recent outbreak of hostility began on 27 May. 9 and has left hundreds – perhaps thousands of people dead, marking the worst escalation of combat since the end of the war.

Azerbaijan has relied on strong support from its ally Turkey, which has trained the Azerbaijani army and supplied it with attack drones and long-range missile systems. Armenian officials accused Turkey of being directly involved in the conflict and sent mercenaries from Syria to fight on the Azerbaijan side.

Turkey has denied deploying fighters to the area, but a Syrian battlefield monitor and Syrian-based opposition activists confirmed that Turkey sent hundreds of opposition fighters. Syria came to fight in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Fierce skirmishes involving heavy artillery, missiles and drones have erupted despite repeated international efforts to end hostile actions. A US-mediated cease-fire deal became acrimonious shortly after it went into effect last week, like the two previous ceasefire orders negotiated by Russia and the latest commitments by Armenia and Azerbaijan not to target Residential areas were demolished hours after being launched on Friday. The warring parties have repeatedly blamed each other for violations.

Artillery fire hit the regional capital Stepanakert on Tuesday night, and the Nagorno-Karabakh Emergency Situation Department also said three missiles hit the strategically important city of Shushi.

Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev asserted that Azerbaijan has the right to reclaim its territory by force after three decades of ineffective international reconciliation. He said that Armenia must commit to withdraw from Nagorno-Karabakh as a condition of a long truce.

The Azerbaijani army regained control of some areas on the Nagorno-Karabakh fringes and stepped up their assault on separatist territory from the south, trying to sever a link between separatist territories and Armenia.

Foreign Minister Lavrov said Russia was continuing to push hostilities to an end, noting that they were working on a series of verification measures needed to achieve a permanent ceasefire, including deploying international observers under the auspices of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.




Source link