Austrian police arrested 14 people and searched 18 sites as part of a massive drag network on Tuesday after a gunman killed four in a fury in Vienna overnight.
Officials said there was no indication that there was more than one attacker involved in the shootings after previously saying they believed there could be as many as four attackers.
Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said: “The videos reviewed so far do not reveal any evidence of the second culprit. Since the review process has not been completed yet we are not in the end. can say how many perpetrators actually committed the crime “.
According to the interior ministry, 14 people arrested are being questioned.
A suspect armed with assault rifles and pistols and wearing a fake explosive vest was killed in the Monday night incident, officials said.
The Ministry of the Interior identified the murdered suspect as Fejzulai Kujtim, 20 years old. He is of North Macedonia descent and has a criminal record linked to a terrorist organization, the officials said.
Nehammer said Kujtim was a sympathizer of the Islamic State militant group. He was killed nine minutes after police were called, police said Tuesday afternoon.
Police said they searched Kujtim’s apartment although they did not give details of what they found. Officials are also reviewing video footage of the event.
The shooting took place on the last night before Austria’s second coronavirus containment wave began, limiting access to unnecessary businesses until the end of November.
The number of injured people on Tuesday afternoon rose to 22 from the 14 announced earlier in the day. Residents of Vienna are encouraged to stay at home if possible and children don’t have to go to school.
Download the NBC News app for breaking news and politics
Shlomo Hofmeister, a rabbi in Vienna, said he witnessed the attack from his home in the vibrant city center, home to many bars and restaurants and also home to the Dojo. Thai main.
“I saw a long armed man standing right below my window shooting at the crowd. He shot where the crowd was, ”he said.
When the police arrived at the scene, Hofmeister said they had called to look for the injured. He said he heard people screaming from inside bars and restaurants that they were injured.
Austria held a minute of silence at noon (6 a.m. ET) to commemorate the victims of the attack.
The attack came just days after an attack on a church in Nice, France, left three people dead. Authorities believe a 21-year-old Tunisian youngster who entered France in early October began stabbing his body after he entered the Notre Dame Basilica on Thursday morning.
The Nice incident is being investigated as a suspected terrorism case.
The APA reported on Tuesday the Austrian government ordered a three-day official national mourning, with flags on public buildings hanging at half-staff levels until Thursday, the APA reported. A minute of silence will be held on Tuesday afternoon.
Leaders from all over the world sent their condolences to Austria, including President Donald Trump.
“Our prayers for the people of Vienna after another act of vile terror in Europe,” he wrote on Twitter.
Reuters contributed to this report.