Seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion, Jimmie Johnson, along with newly crowned 2020 series champion Chase Elliott, are set to join the January 24 Rolex Tournament at Daytona.
Rick Hendrick, owner of both riders in NASCAR’s top series, revealed during Sunday’s post-race press conference at the Phoenix International Raceway that Johnson and Elliott will run in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. opening season next year.
Elliott won the Season Finale 500, enough for him to win his first Cup Series title, while Johnson, in his entire last season in the top-level NASCAR competition – came fifth in the competition. race.
“Both of us, Chase and Jimmie, will be in the 24-hour race [at Daytona]So I’m looking forward to it, ”Hendrick told reporters.
While Hendrick later admitted that he may have “leapfrogged” on this news, it is understood that an effort has been made to achieve an all-star DPi entry, with the 2019 Indianapolis 500 winner. Simon Pagenaud is rumored to be the third racer in this effort.
All three drivers are Chevrolet-backed pilots, with Pagenaud driving for Team Penske in the NTT IndyCar Series as well as the Michelin Endurance Cup races in Penske’s Acura ARX-05 program, which will conclude next weekend at Sebring.
Elliott, meanwhile, confirmed to reporters that he has committed to racing Rolex 24 but has not yet signed.
While the 24-year-old second-generation driver, son of two-time Daytona 500 winner and former NASCAR champion Bill, will debut in motorsport, Johnson has made five appearances earlier in the race. Classic Florida endurance, most recently making its 2011 debut in the GAINSCO / Bob Stallings Racing Riley-Chevrolet DP race.
His best streak came in 2008 as a runner-up with co-drivers Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty and Jimmy Vasser.
Sportscar365 understands that the planned ‘all-star’ effort will be a Cadillac DPi-VR made by Action Express Racing.
It will accompany the Cadillac DPi all return season of the Pipo Derani and Felipe Nasr teams in the top prototype class.
AXR team manager, Gary Nelson, told Sportscar365 in September that he did not rule out the possibility of running a second entry the following year after operating a car for the first time in the team’s history this year.
It is not clear when it may be possible to make an official notice of the possible attempt.