قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Beirut blast: US official says the FBI will be involved in the investigation

Beirut blast: US official says the FBI will be involved in the investigation



The FBI will join Lebanese and other international investigators in the investigation of a major bang in the Port of Beirut that killed more than 170 people, injured thousands and caused widespread destruction, a grandmother US delivery said Thursday.

The Lebanese authorities have invited the FBI to join and it is one way Washington can help the country deal with the effects of the disaster, US Politburo Deputy David Hale said as he toured the neighborhood. Gemayezeh, which was damaged by the attack in August. 4 explosions.

“The FBI will soon join Lebanese and international investigators at the invitation of the Lebanese to help answer questions I know everyone has about the circumstances that led to this explosion,”

; he told reporters. “.

It is not known what caused the fire, which caused nearly 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate to be stored for many years in the port of Beirut. But documents appeared to show that the country’s top leader and security officials knew about the stockpile. French investigators are also participating in the investigation.

The US embassy said Hale is expected to “reiterate the US government’s commitment to helping the Lebanese people recover from the tragedy and rebuild their lives.” He will also emphasize the “urgent need” for the adoption of fundamental reforms by Lebanese leaders.

So far, Washington has offered $ 18 million in humanitarian assistance provided by the US Agency for International Development and the Department of State and Defense.

The United States is one of the largest donors of the Lebanese armed forces. But Washington sees Hezbollah, a powerful political player in government and parliament, as a terrorist group. US officials have expressed concern that aid will not reach the Hezbollah-backed government.

The government resigned on Monday, almost a week after the blast left more than 170 people dead, at least 6,000 injured and destroyed the capital’s port and caused widespread damage throughout the capital. The government retains a managerial role.

LEBANON ACTIVITIES AFFIRING UNDER-STATE ARRIVAL TEAMS

On Thursday, the Lebanese parliament passed a state of emergency in Beirut in its first session since the blast, granting military raid rights amid growing public anger over official corruption and poor governance as well as political instability.

The disaster has raised popular rage towards Lebanon’s leaders to new heights as the country suffers an unprecedented economic and financial crisis, coupled with the coronavirus pandemic.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Before resigning, the government declared a state of emergency allowing the military to issue curfews, prevent public gatherings and censor the media, as well as refer civilians to the court. military for alleged security breaches. The act requires the approval of lawmakers, which they approved on Thursday.

The move has been criticized by human rights groups and others say the civilian government was operating with more power because of the coronavirus outbreak. Some pointed out that the military cracked down on protesters last week, fears the extended powers could lead to silent dissent.


Source link