Two members of the Atletico Madrid group going to Portugal for the quarter-finals of the Champions League were tested positive for a coronavirus on Sunday.
It was the first pandemic-related defeat among the clubs participating in the final stages of Europe’s top club-level competition.
– Stream FC daily on ESPN +
– Transfer Q&A: How will the summer transfer happen?
– ESPN Insider Notebook: Mbappe, Neymar more than Ronaldo for PSG
The final eight will kick off in Lisbon on Wednesday amid tight health safety protocols to stop an outbreak of coronavirus that derail the competition’s final. The semifinals and finals on August 23 will also take place in Lisbon.
No other club making it to the quarter-finals has reported positive trials among their players recently. The Spanish club did not name those who tested positive and did not say if a player was involved.
It said they had immediately informed health authorities in Spain and Portugal of positive results, as well as UEFA and other football authorities in both countries.
It said in a statement that the entire group that was prepared to go to Lisbon would be re-checked before the group could travel and that the group’s schedule was being changed to allow for new tests. Atletico will face RB Leipzig on Thursday in the last eight.
The quarter-finals kick off on Wednesday with Atalanta facing Paris Saint-Germain. The remainder of the series will feature Barcelona vs.. Bayern Munich on Friday and Manchester City with Lyon on Saturday.
Matches will take place at two stadiums in Lisbon. Earlier this week, Atletico had to cancel a friendly match with their women’s team following a positive examination in the group stage.