Apple will release iOS 14.2 GM to developers beta testers today and to public beta testers. Notably, the new iOS 14.2 GM today will bring a fix for “A new iOS update is now available. Please update from iOS 14 beta“That many users are seeing right now.
iOS 14.2 GM is currently rolling out, and you can find it in the Settings app. This beta release is especially noticeable given the announcement of a non-existent update that many users have seen over the past 24 hours.
This is not the first time an error like this has occurred. In fact, something similar happened during iOS 12 beta in 2018. Basically, Apple has coded the expiration times of the beta versions of iOS into the pedal. Once that day returns, the pedal will automatically show a persistent pop-up warning until the update is installed.
Elsewhere, iOS 14.2 brings refurbished detection controls to the lock screen alongside redesigned AirPlay 2 controls in Control Center. One of the other new changes in iOS 14.2 is a brand new Shazam switch that can be added to the Control Center.
To add the new Shazam music recognition toggle button to Control Center, first make sure you’re running the developer beta of iOS 14.2, coming today. After that, open the Settings app, select “Control Center”, then find Shazam under the “More Controls” heading. You can then add the Shazam switch and rearrange it as you see fit.
iOS 14.2 also includes many new wallpapers, which you can view and download in our full post right here.
If you spot any changes in iOS 14.2 GM or other new Apple beta versions today, let us know in the comments below or on Twitter @ 9to5Mac.
iOS 14.2 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:
- More than 100 new emojis, including animals, food, faces, household objects, musical instruments, sexist emojis, etc.
- Eight new wallpapers in both light and dark mode versions
- Magnifier can detect nearby people and report their distance using the LiDAR sensor found in iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Support for iPhone 12 Holster with MagSafe
- Battery charger optimized for AirPods to slow down battery aging by reducing the time your AirPods spend fully charged
- Headphone level notification to alert you when sound levels may affect your hearing
- New AirPlay controls for streaming entertainment across your home
- Support intercom with HomePod and HomePod mini using iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods and CarPlay
- The ability to connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K for stereo, surround sound and Dolby Atmos sound
- Option to provide Exposure Notification statistics, without identifying you, to participating Public Health Agencies
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Apps may be out of order on the Home screen dock
- The camera viewfinder may appear black when launched
- The keys on the Lock Screen might miss a touch when trying to enter a passcode
- Reminders can default to a past time
- The photo widget may not display content
- Weather widget can display high temperature in degrees Celsius when set to Fahrenheit
- Weather’s next hour rainfall graph description can show inaccuracies when the rain stops
- Recording A voice memo is interrupted by incoming calls
- The screen may go black when playing back Netflix video
- Apple Cash cannot send or receive money when asked via Siri
- The Apple Watch app may suddenly close when opened
- GPS workout routes or Health data are prevented from syncing between the Apple Watch and iPhone for some users
- Sound is incorrectly labeled as “No play ???? in the CarPlay Dashboard
- The device may be prevented from wireless charging
- Exposure notification is disabled when restoring iPhone from iCloud Backup or transferring data to a new iPhone using iPhone Migration
FTC: We use auto-earning affiliate links. Than.
See 9to5Mac on YouTube for more news about Apple: